Friday, March 2, 2007

Goodbye Changsha - Hello Guangzhou

Much has changed in the last 24 hours. Olivia is becoming more confident and the grins just keep coming. Olivia likes to tease Kim by biting her own toes which always draws a reaction worth a giggle or two (Yes that is food on her chin. I was feeding her... no, not her toes).

Last night I (Chris) was treated to dinner at a local restaurant by the parents of a foreign exchange student who is being hosted by Lisa. Thanks, Doris. Your parents were wonderful hosts, and I really enjoyed the "Long Happiness" restaurant where we ate. They were very thoughtful and ordered me a steak just in case I didn't like the local cuisine, but there was no need. I loved everything. We had cold boiled chicken, smoked fish, octopus soup, fish head porridge, chilli pepper salad, baked fish, meat dumplings, and many other things I don't really know what they were, but they were all delicious. Kim really wanted to go, but Olivia's table manners are not really very good yet, and it was close to bedtime before we left. She was especially sad to have missed it when I told her what delicious food we ate.

Today we went to the museum in Changsha where they have artifacts from several tombs that were dug here thousands of years ago. This is what Olivia looked like for most of the time at the museum: This is the lady that they found in the tomb as she looked over 2000 years ago:

This is her now (makes me think of a Budweiser commercial from a few superbowls back):

This is her stomach:

There is more of her to view upon request.

Tomorrow morning we leave Changsha for Guangzhou where we will spend the next 5 days. Guangzhou is the last stop in China before we return home. I am interested to see how Olivia does on the short plane ride, and with the change in scenery. Speaking of my favorite daughter... here are some more pictures...

Lastly... post a response, please. It is great to read words of encouragement and to feel like our freinds and family are with us on this journey.

Thanks,

Chris, Kim, and Olivia

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

To be able to track your journey is great! I have shown the blog to Sharon (she needed the high-speed connection), and am tracking changes daily. Olivia is a beautiful girl! Not so sure about the 'older' woman from the museum, though... Her stomach? Really?

I talk with Karen daily as well, and I know your boys are looking forward to seeing you. All are staying busy, and are well and happy.

After you get back safely and are settled I look forward to meeting Olivia. I know the preparations for her arrival have changed your lives, and that won't stop now that she is with you. I love seeing the positive impact she has! What power for such a youngster!

All the best,
Wayne